Whisky is lovely

The beautiful distillery of Laphroaig on Islay.

And what could be lovelier than drinking it in it's natural habitat? I was lucky enough to be given a trip to the beautiful Isle of Islay for my birthday a few years ago. Not that I remember a great deal about the actual island to be truthful. BUT I most certainly do remember the amazing angel of a woman with the fitting name of Angela who ran the White Hart Hotel in Port Ellen. She helped us find shelter on the mainland after we missed the last ferry from Tarbert (not to be mistaken for the not so very nearby place called Tarbet,but that's another story!) and welcomed us in a way no other hotel manager has ever welcomed us before. Not only by being the epitomy of hospitality, but also by taking us on a right royal pub crawl that consisted of the hotel bar, the one local pub and finally getting us into the local freemasons lodge for some cheap late night drinks under the watchful eye of Mr Robert Burns himself(also another story).

But
now I am getting sidetracked from the point of my trip, although I find that getting sidetracked on a trip often leads to some of the highlights.
I was obviously on Islay to drink Whisky and there's a lot to choose between. You can visit the distilleries of Lagavullin, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Caol Ila, Bunnahabhain and Bruichladdich. You can also taste some of the whiskies from the islands lost distilleries, such as Port Ellen, in the local pubs and restaurants on the island, but prepare yourself for stiff prices!
I truly enjoyed my trip and my hot tip to cope with drinking copious amounts of amazing whisky without passing out at teatime is to start the day with a hardy Scottish breakfast and start drinking early in the day!!! Worked for me.

To get to Islay - http://www.islayguide.com/Traveltoislay.html

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Related Posts with Thumbnails