Daytrip to Windsor and Eton part I


Hop on a train at Waterloo and just under an hour later you're at Windsor and Eton riverside station. The day I went I wandered straight over the little bridge separating the college town of Eton from the castle town of Windsor. There was a conspicuous lack of students in tailcoats and stripey trousers that day. It was probably a school holiday and I was actually relieved. Wandering the streets Eton somehow gave me the feeling of sneaking around a film set and hoping nobody would chuck me out for trespassing. If I for a moment forgot where I was, a sign would appear to remind me.
The buildings of Eton are varied and obviously very old, the oldest being from 1420! I think it would be a good idea to either buy a guide book or take one of the bustrips offered to get a bit more information about the buildings and architecture.
Picture courtesy of www.etoncollege.com
For anyone with a penchanct for colourful socks this is the place for you! I saw a sign in one of the local shops selling the Eton uniform that said there were 110 different designs today.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Related Posts with Thumbnails